Wednesday, June 23, 2004

I couldn't breathe

I couldn't breathe today, the air was so full
of Hopper, a fistful of copper in my pocket
and none in my heart. Blue shadows and rain
and physical pain, seeing you there in the dark.

I couldn't breathe today, the night was so brief
and unkind, she sticks in my mind as another old shelter
I've left for the rain. The noise of the stars
Beats down on the cars of invisible midnight trains.

I couldn't breathe today, so instead I breathed
tomorrow, and secretly borrowed the time
that would keep us apart. I spent it in June
asleep on the moon, waiting for summer to start.

(for vanessa)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i couldn't breathe after reading this poem. it's beautiful - heartbreaking. I love it, I love you.

11:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home